I’ve been suffering from migraines lately and after a particularly bad episode last week, I recovered and went straight on to catching a cold from my daughter. Not a great start to the week admittedly.
Then there’s work. I’m feeling particularly anxious at the moment. I know what I need to do and I could be great at my job but something is missing. My passion is missing and this makes me question my abilities and procrastinate over things I need to get done.
All of these feelings manifest themselves as arguments with my husband and once the gates open, all the frustrations come flooding in and epic arguments ensue. They aren’t fair to him but are sadly necessary without another outlet to vent my frustrations.
You see the thing is that we have everything in life that we need to be happy. So why do we often get in our own way. We let worry, fear and anxiety get in the middle of everything and it can have devastating effects.
I feel sometimes I don’t give myself enough credit for the things I do that are good. I wait for the voice of doubt and almost expect it. The point I want to make with this post is that it doesn’t have to all be doom and gloom. We can make a decision to change for the better, to allow ourselves to experience happy moments and use those moments as fuel on a less than perfect day.
I’ve come up with 5 things to say to myself whenever the negative feelings come looming. I’d like you to join me and take a moment out before things get too rough, remember these things:-
1. You are enough. You are fearfully and wonderfully made and you deserve all the happiness and love the world has to offer.
2. It’s OK to have a bad day but don’t let those define you. Tomorrow is full of promise, things will be alright.
3. It is impossible to be positive when you think negatively. We are programmed to believe the things we say to and about ourselves. Turn this around. Try this instead. Think positively, it’s hard I know but think the best of each situation. Before you know it that positively will become infectious and will make you feel so much better.
4. Doubt can also be seen as an opportunity, your chance to change what you might feel is to come. ‘I’m not good enough’ can turn into ‘I will try harder’ and ‘I will do better’. You can turn that fought into a strong force that pushes you into the direction you really should be going.
5. You are and always will be enough. Circumstances may not be as you want but you are amazing and no matter what anyone else says, you can be proud of your every achievement. Let that be your encouragement on your perfect and not-so-perfect days.
At the end of all of this I actually feel better and a bit more energised. I feel more confident and am excited for tomorrow. I’ve can get so many good things done this week so that’s what I’ll do, I’ll go to sleep content and wake up re-energised ready to make the best of the day.
Even if only one person is encouraged by these words, my job is done and I’m happy.